Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday 26 July 2014

Sydney Winter Holiday 2014 (Day 6): Fortune Place Chinese Restaurant ~ Review

After a day spent on graduation ceremony,  of course we had to celebrate and we head off to our Aunt's recommended Chinese restaurant in Chatswood - Fortune Place Chinese Restaurant. They were having some promotion on the crab on that day, so yeah we had to get that. So here's the food we got:

Okay I don't exactly remember the name of this dish. This is basically steamed chicken - kinda taste like the chicken you get with Hainanese Chicken Rice. The meat is tender and flavourful, it's salty with a hint of sweetness into it. It's server warm. The sauces on the sides are made of ginger and garlic.
The star of the show - The Ginger and Shallot Crab. The crab is so fragrant and the meat is so soft. The 9 of us finish this pretty easily. And you can never go wrong with Ginger and Shallot if you're in Australia. It's sweet, salty, savoury. Yumm...

Fried Oyster. This one is pretty so-so for me just because in general I prefer raw oyster. This dish is not bad but I can't seem to find the difference between this and a regular deep-fried oyster. Skip this..
Sweet and Sour Pork is one of those staple dish we got in a Chinese restaurant. You just can't go wrong with it. The meat in this one is tender and easy to chew which is good. The batter is deep fried to crispiness and the sauce is very generous. On a side note, there's nothing different from this sweet and sour pork to others' served in other restaurant. So if you're looking for a twist on the original, this is not it. This one is just a good old comfort food.
This dish over here is accidentally served to us. It's basically soft tofu with fillet fish served with soy sauce and shallots on top. The saltiness of the soy sauce gives really great flavour to the soft fish fillet and tofu.
Okay this is so unappealing. The dish came in served per bowl. It is crispy fried noodle with meat and vege topped with a some kind of oyster sauce. It's a tradition to celebrate an occasion especially birthdays by eating noodles so we had these. It's a pretty decent dish. The noodle still has some of its crispiness which is good and the sauce is nice and savoury.

This is probably my least favourite dish mainly because it tasted pretty bland. It is soft tofu with mixed vegetables (carrots, snow peas, baby corn, and mushroom) and some meat (prawns and minced pork). I do like the consistency of the thick sauce but am not a fan of the taste. Had they made it more salty and sweet, I would probably have loved it more. Take a leave from Superbowl on this one please.
It's an unpleasant sight (it taste good though) but this is a whole steamed fish. The fish taste fresh and the meat is so soft. The soy sauce that marinates the whole thing is really good (salty with a hint of sweetness) and the shallots add some crisp to the dish. Just a side note, this is the same sauce as the one use in the fish fillet dish mentioned above.
Another less favourite of mine. It's steamed dou miao with mushroom topped with oyster sauce. The vegetable (dou miao) is the problem for me. I find it too hard to chew, I think it would have fared better if they steamed it a little bit more. The taste of the dish is also rather bland.
Chinese Restaurant will not be complete without the complimentary desserts:

Sweet Sliced Oranges
Fried Wontons and Chinese Cookies. Yum!
Bowl of Red Bean Soup - Not a fan of this. Could've been more sweet.

Given on a Friday evening,  the restaurant is not that packed in my opinion. Maybe evenings are not their forte. Would I go here again? I guess so if I'm in the Chatswood area. They serve pretty good decent Chinese food. I would like to see how they whip up fried rice and deep shredded beef dish - those 2 are my faves. Oh, and dim sum :)

Fortune Place Chinese Restaurant on Urbanspoon

FYI. Random story: I left my phone and had to come back to get it here. Good thing they picked up my call and wait for me to get my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment