Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday 3 July 2014

Sydney Winter Holiday 2014 (Day 2): Sushi Train (Newtown) ~ Review and Snippets from Vivid at University of Sydney

After a short and sweet adventure in the city, we came back to Newtown for dinner and to catch Vivid at The University of Sydney - its newest instalment.

This is, correct me if I'm wrong, the first time USyd took part in the festival so we were really excited to take a look at it. My sister is an alumni of the school (we actually went to Australia for her graduating ceremony) so that's another plus point of going there.





We made a stop at Sushi Train - our favourite sushi chain in Australia. Everything is just soo goood. To prove it to you. Let me show you the total damage the 5 of us (my fam) made.



Please excuse my blur face and look at the plates instead....... We have about 25-30 plates over there (*insert shocking face*)


This is not my first time visiting their chain. In fact, every time I went to Australia, I made it a point to visit any of their chains. You can see from the picture how crowded the restaurant was and how busy the chefs were. The sushi were made quite fresh on the spot, which is a plus point.

Let me show you some of the sushi highlights...

The Review

The Aburi Salmon Cake. THIS. IS. AWESOME. It is basically aburi salmon with yummy sauce on the top and between the rice you'll find some avocado. Everything just blends so well and it tasted so good. I remembered sneaking an extra plate of this nearing the end of the meal just because I liked it so much.


The Aburi Hotate Egg Mayonaise. OMG that scallop. It was so smooth and the egg with spicy mayo topping just hit the spot. The use of the spicy mayo made the dish not too heavy and adds texture to the egg mayo flavour.













Now to tell you guys honestly, I didn't have an exact idea of what was inside this Volcano Roll. All I know was there's egg, shredded crabstick, really nice mayo sauce, some shredded cucumber. I'm pretty sure they should have some kind of meat inside, but anyway. This thing is really good. I shared this with my family but I was secretly hoping I had the whole thing for myself HAHA.




Another yummy one.. The ASKA Roll which stands for Aburi Salmon, Kanikama and Avocado roll. I guess by this time, the combination of their Aburi Salmon and Avocado would never fail me. Add the crabstick mayo combination and this taste different from their Aburi Salmon Cake. If I have to choose between the 2, I would go with the Aburi Salmon Cake.




Another favourite. Aburi Marinated Beef. I just realized that all of my favourite so far came from their Aburi item. This beef was sweet and it melts in your mouth. And though the meat is thinly sliced, I'd say it was quite a generous portion.









Other things that we got...
From top left: 1. Salmon, Avocado and Cheese Roll, 2. Aburi Salmon, 3. Chicken and Avocado Roll, 4. Unagi, 5. Salmon & Avocado Salad,  6. Ebi Fry Roll (the big picture).

This place however, has some things that you can consider to skip like...





The Gyoza... It's just a pre-packaged gyoza heated up so there's nothing spectacular about the gyoza. I suggest you save your money on the sushi instead.













Skip the Chilli Wagyu Beef Roll as well. Now I'm not sure whether it's because the dish was already cold but I felt that the beef is rather dry and the dry chilli in this sushi just didn't work for me.






Sushi Train on Urbanspoon












We head to USyd after this and the Vivid light show did not disappoint :) Check out some of the pict below.














No comments:

Post a Comment