Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday 20 January 2013

How to: Build Your Basic Makeup Stash


I'm not a makeup a guru nor am I planning to but I did have a period where I became obsessed with makeup and start buying makeup like crazy (thinking that it's important to have 'em all) only to regret it later. Well I don't exactly have a closet full of makeup, I do have quite a collection and from these, I learnt what are the "good-to-have" and the "ok-to-have-but-not-really-necessary."

So here are some of my tips.

The "good-to-have":
1. A good foundation or BB cream - if it's for everyday, I'd recommend a BB cream as it has SPF and other benefits. The only time you may need a foundation is when you need heavier makeup (for evening parties, etc) or when you need to take lots of photos (in which SPF is not really your best friend). I apply my foundation and BB cream using my fingers and find it good enough =)

2. Concealer - skip this if you have a very nice skin that only needs BB cream/foundation to even out your skin tone. For me, concealer is a necessity for my under eye area and breakouts (during the time of the month). I apply this with my fingers too.

3. Powder - to set the BB cream and concealer. I applied it using powder brush to avoid looking cakey but using the sponge that comes with your powder is more than sufficient =)

When I'm in a rush or just plain lazy of putting on makeup, I usually only use these 3 products. Otherwise, I'll also use the stuff below:

4. Eye primer - skip this if you do not have oily eyelids. This is very important for me since 1. I have an almost monolid eyelids, 2. I live in a humid country, and 3. I have the oiliest eyelids ever.

5. A good neutral eye makeup palette - Any neutral eye palette will do! Owning one can basically help you create neutral look for any occasions. And face it, we do not really wear bright colors most of the time. I usually just sweep one color all over my lids for the sake of having some powder to prolong my eyeliner from smudging all over my lids. Alternatively, I'll add darker color on my outer corner to define my eyes a bit more.

6. A long lasting liquid eyeliner - it may be easier to work with pencil or gel liner but these do not stay well on my eyelids. Liquid liner may be intimidating but with new designs such as felt-tip pen like or 3-dotted tip, it's definitely easier to use them nowadays.

I'll stop until these 6 products unless I want some more color on my skin, which I will add:

7. Blush - It is very tempting to collect as many blush colors from various color ranges. After learning from my mistakes, I find that as long as you have a neutral pink (and optionally a coral one), you can survive =)

8. Bronzer - I have chubby cheeks so I need this to contour my face though I rarely use it since I'm kind of lazy >.<

9. Lipbalm - I only make this a necessary when my lips are very dry. But beyond that, I rarely wear any lip products

What about brushes? There are only 3 brushes I used for the 9 products above - 1. powder brush, 2. blush brush (double for bronzer too), and 3. eye blending brush.

Basically, that's the 9 products plus 3 brushes that I find as "good-to-have."

What about the "ok-to-have-but-not-really-necessary"?
1. Face primer - only when you need your makeup to last super long
2. Brow powder - this is pretty debatable, I have a pretty dark eyebrow so I don't really find the need to fill in my brows all the time. If you have sparse eyebrows, you might consider moving this to the "good-to-have"list
3. Cream eye base - besides my eye primer, I still use cream eye base to further ensure that my eye makeup stays put
4. Eyelash curler - I'm Asian and I have straight lash so this is important whenever I'm wearing mascara
5. Mascara - I rarely wear mascara because I just haven't find the one that stays on well on me (by the end of the day, I usually have racoon eyes). And I kinda like the just eyeliner with no mascara look.
6. Lipgloss/Lipstick - I guess it's because I have a pinkish red lips to start with so I don't really find the necessity to use one.

Any additional brushes? Well, if you're using a brow powder, you will need a small angled brush for it =)

That's basically my suggestions. Do feel free to comment on the list above! Thanks for reading =)

No comments:

Post a Comment